ADL’s – Activities of Daily Living. Bathing, dressing, grooming, toileting, mobility, feeding needed, and other personal care items. 

BELTCA - Board of Examiners for Long Term Care Administrators.   A National board for Administrators of Residential Care Homes, Assisted Livings, and Nursing Homes that requires special training, continuing educational training and testing.   A BELTCA licensed administrator offers an added level of monitoring and safety for residents.

DME - Durable Medical Equipment.   Hospital beds, walkers, wheel chairs, oxygen concentrators, nebulizers.  While Medicare does cover some of these items, recent changes have reduced what they pay for and the quality of the item provided at the Medicare fee rate, increased restrictions and documentation requirements for the providers also impact what is covered.

State LTC Ombudsman.  The state Long term Care (LTC) Ombudsman is a program that provides unannounced visits to state regulated entities like nursing homes, residential care homes (group homes) and Assisted Living facilities.  They do not visit Supported Living Arrangements which are regulated under NRS 435 or 433 regulations.  SLA’s are out of the jurisdiction of the Ombudsman.   Ombudsman do not visit PCA agencies which offer one on one care for residents in their own home.  In the in-home setting it is up to the family to supervise and monitor care there.  The Ombudsman program provides an added level of monitoring which improves safety for frail elderly. 

LTC - Long Term Care.  Commonly refers to custodial care or non-skilled care which is the need for assistance ADL’s like bathing, dressing, meal preparation, etc. In Most cases this type of care is not covered by insurance or Medicare.

LTC Insurance - Long term care insurance is private insurance that may cover Assisted Living, Residential Care Homes and Nursing home care. Each policy varies on coverage.  These policies are private pay, out of pocket costs. Many people confuse this with the more common medical insurances like Medicare.

SNF- Skilled Nursing Facility, or Nursing home. Large institutions that provide short term rehabilitation and some long term care.

ALF- Assisted Living Facility.  These are generally large, 50-100 bed facilities. They provide housing, meals and activities. Personal care assistance based on levels of care are available at added costs including some level of 24 hour care.  They are regulated under NRS 449 regulations for RFFG (Residential Facilities for Groups) which also covers Residential Care Homes (RCH’s)

RCH- Residential Care Home (Group Home).  Small residential homes that provide inclusive care for 3-10 residents. They provide housing in private or shared rooms, meals, housekeeping/laundry, varied activities and personal care assistance with ADLs like bathing, dressing toileting, etc.  This type of care home is much different than SLA homes or supported Living Arrangements which are not licensed by the state and have less monitoring and supervision than state licensed RCH’s or Group Homes.

PCA Personal Care Agency- Agencies that provide personal care attendants in your home to assist with personal care, meal preparation and housekeeping. They charge and hourly rate for services provided and in general have a 4 hour minimum.  

RFFG - Residential Facility for Groups.  RFFG is the state’s term that licenses both large Assisted Living Facilities and Smaller Residential Care Homes.

DPBH-   Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health (DPBH).  It has been known as the Bureau of Licensure (BLC), the Bureau of Health Care Quality and Compliance (BHCQC) and most recently DPBH. This is the licensing body for most health facilities and is regulated under NRS 449.    Read more.. This agency should be distinguished from the Regional Centers that regulate Supported Living Arrangements which also provide housing, medication management and care for developmentally challenged and other types of clientele under NRS 433 and 435 and monitored under ADSD.  These entities are not licensed but are certified and currently not monitored by the state like RCH’s, RFFG, and ALF’s.

Custodial Care – Custodial care is typically the help most of us need as we get older. This is distinguished from Skilled care which is provided by nurses and medical professionals. It is care or assistance with ADL’s like bathing, dressing, meal preparation, housekeeping etc. In Most cases this type of care is not covered by insurance or Medicare.  This is typically a private pay item offered by Personal Care Agencies and is very expensive.  Many people who begin to need assistance and personal care also look at RCH’s and ALF’s which offer assistance and custodial care combined with more coordination of care which can provide more complete custodial care and keep the cost under control as the care needs increase.  

HHA – Home Health Care agency.  This is a service that generally is paid by Medicare or an advantage Medicare substitute for Medicare. This service is provided for short term needs often after an illness or hospitalization.  The agency sends a skilled nurse, occupational therapy, physical therapy or CNA to the home but do not provide consistent ongoing custodial care that most people need.